Friday, June 23, 2017

#TGIFC113 | Technique Time | Bokeh

Hello, Hello! Welcome to the weekend and welcome to another TGIF Challenge. I for one am very glad its Friday. Just a little tired at the end of the week. The days here in Melbourne are a getting a little colder and I'm feeling like I want to hibernate till Winter is over. I might just hibernate in my craft room for a while. I'd be happy with that!

This week over at TGIF Challenges we are using the Bokeh technique for our challenge theme. This technique has been around for a while now. It is so much fun to do and you (usually) get fabulous results very time. 

Bokeh is a photography term which is the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens. Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light". 

The term comes from the Japanese word boke, which means "blur" or "haze". Check out these images here to see what Bokeh looks like. 


This blur or haze look is quite easy to replicate in the crafting world too. All you have to do is search Bokeh Technique for Paper Crafting on You Tube and there is a plethora of tutorials to show you how to do this fabulous technique.

Normally when doing the Bokeh technique most will do a watercolour wash first and then sponge the 'blurring' overtop of that, and I did originally start that way, but I thought why not use the Ombre DSP from the Color Theory DSP 6"x6" stack.

I've made some Bokeh cards before and I followed this tutorial that I found on Pinterest. Its very straight forward and really shows you how to do this Bokeh technique.


 I used the Layering Circle Dies and the Big Shot to cut me a circle template out of the Stampin' Up! Window Sheets so I had a few different size circles to sponge with.


With my circle template I used the Stampin' Up! Sponge Daubers and the Whisper White Craft Ink to add my 'Bokeh. I just tapped the white ink on the DSP with the daubers until I got the white coverage that I desired. Don't be afraid to overlap your circles as this is what makes the blur effect. You could just even 'stamp' down an inked up Sponge Dauber for that smaller circle size. Or if you wanted to go even smaller I have seen the eraser end of a pencil inked up and that 'stamped' down. Might have to try that next time.


To embellish my card and finish it off I've stretched out some of the new Copper Trim and then layered it with the Tranquil Tide Finely Woven Ribbon and the Black Mini Sequin Trim. How cute are those wooden hearts?? They are a new embellishment from the new Annual Catalogue - Hearts and Stars. They are etched wooden heart and star emebellishments and they are so very cute!!! Love them!!

Click on the colour name to see all the Stampin' Up! products in that colour
 
I hope that I've given you some inspiration for the Bokeh Technique and I really hope that you will give this fabulous technique a go and join us for this weeks challenge. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

For all the details on this weeks challenge remeber to check it out at TGIF Challenges.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Live in Australia?
 Shop for Stampin' Up! with me 24/7
   Recreate this card at home using the following Stamin' Up! products. Click on the images below to see the product information and to shop from my online store.

1 comment:

  1. Okay this card is super duper amazing! But... you just made me really want that mini sequin trim! I always love your work & this card is no exception! Love ya girl! 💖

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment on my creations! I really love to hear what you think and will try to respond as soon as I can! Rochelle xo

In line with Data Protection legislation by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.