Friday, December 20, 2019

Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team Corporate Blog Post | To a Wild Rose


This post originally appeared on the Stampin' Up! Facebook Page in the Notes section on 20th December, 2019. You can see the original post here.


Hello there, stamping friends. Rochelle Blok from Melbourne, Australia, here. I have the pleasure of sharing the last projects with you from the 2019 Artisan Design Team.

Today I'm sharing one of my all-time, most favorite coloring techniques: “no line” watercoloring. If you follow me on my blog/Facebook or Instagram, you'll know that I just love anything to do with coloring, and today’s technique is no exception.


The “no line” watercoloring technique is still fairly new to me, but with more practice and time I'll be able to master this technique a whole lot more.

All my cards today use the To a Wild Rose Stamp Set (item 149452), Wild Rose Dies (item 149547), Sahara Sand ink (item 147117), Fluid 100 Watercolor Paper (item 149612), Shimmery White Cardstock (item 101910), Mossy Meadow Cardstock (item 133676), Basic Black Cardstock (item 121045), Very Vanilla 3/8" Scalloped Lace Trim (item 149593), Silver Metallic Thread (item 138402), White Stampin' Emboss Powder (item 109132), Aqua Painters (item 103954), and Rhinestone Basic Jewels (item 144220).


To begin, ink your image with Sahara Sand ink, then stamp off once before stamping the image you want to color. This will leave a faint outline of your stamped image.

To color the image, put a drop of ink in the lid of the ink pad, mix in a drop or two of water, then pick up the color from the lid using an Aqua Painter.

If you mix a tiny amount of ink with water on the Aqua Painter brush and then wash out the color, you’ll end up with a lighter variation of the ink. Though this process takes a little time, the results definitely give you that “WOW” look.



After stamping, there will still be lines where you colored the image, but they will be light. And once you color the image with your chosen ink color, the light outline of the image will practically disappear, giving you the “no line” watercolor look.

When I colored each rose, I started with the center petals and colored every second one. I waited until they were all dry, then moved on to coloring the rest of the petals. If you try to color all the petals at once—all right next to each other—the petals will bleed into each other and you may end up with a “hot mess.” Trust me, I know! Ha!

For my first card, I used Blackberry Bliss ink (item 147092) to color the roses. When watercoloring I use the “wet on wet” coloring technique. This is where you go over the portion of the image that you are want to color with water first, then go over the water with your desired color. The water helps to pull and move the ink around, making it easier to color your image.

I sponged some Pool Party ink (item ) on the Shimmery White Cardstock base layer, added some leaves, ribbon, and trim to accent the roses, then finished the card off with an embossed sentiment and some Rhinestone Basic Jewels.



For my second card, I used Gorgeous Grape ink (item 147099) on the rose, then used the “trellis” die cut as an accent base layer. I die cut a frame using the Stitched Rectangle Dies (item 148551) and then adhered it to the die-cut shapes frame for a fun background look.

I then adhered it to the card base layers. How beautiful is the contrast of the bold, dark colors against the white card base. Love it!



For my last card, I went with a softer look using Highland Heather Ink (item 147103) to color the rose. The lighter purple really gives the project a softer look against the Shimmery White, but it still gives you a “WOW” look.

I used the inner piece of cardstock left over from cutting the frame in the second card and embossed it with the beautiful and very versatile Scripty 3D Embossing Folder (item 149634). I've added some layers of Scalloped Lace Trim and Silver Metallic Thread over the base cardstock layers and then finished the card off with the beautiful Mossy Meadow leaves, heat-embossed sentiment, and some Rhinestone Basic Jewels.

While this technique looks fabulous, you will need to take your time to practice. Practice makes perfect, right? Practicing this technique is the perfect way to de-stress and unwind. Why not try it with other colors and see what you end up with?
I hope I have inspired you with this technique and that you’ll give it a try, too!

 Thanks so much for stopping by!
Happy Stamping!
 Live in Australia
Shop for Stampin' Up! with me 24/7

 Recreate these projects at home using the following Stampin' Up! products. Click on the images below to see the product information and to shop from my online store.

1 comment:

  1. I just love the look of this technique. It would help a lot to see a video of how you load your brush with ink. Please consider making one. It would help so much. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment on my creations! I really love to hear what you think and will try to respond as soon as I can! Rochelle xo

In line with Data Protection legislation by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.